Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sweet Corn Chiffon Cake

Hee.. Baked something else today.. I'm back to the chiffon craze..



Yes, I baked a sweet corn chiffon cake today.. Easy peasy.. I got it done within 1.15 hr.. Not a time consuming bake.





The most important step in chiffon making.. Whipping of egg whites to stiff peaks.. Looks like whipped cream uh?



Anyway, one simple way to test if it's the stiff stage, simply overturn the whole bowl, and the white will not fall off..





Next, just stiff in some whites to lighten the yolk mixture, then subsequently fold in all of the whites.



End Result.... One word to sum it all up.... DISAPPOINTING...



So so disappointed with the appearance, as well as myself.. I was so impatient, I removed the cake after 20mins of cooling (Usually takes 1 hr), and I was chatting away while doing this, next thing i know, I drop the whole pan on the countertop, and flop the whole cake out..



Causing big wholes here and there.. Geeshh!!


Nevertheless, I still like this cake (tho it's ugly). Simply because it taste so heavenly!! I like the fragrance of the coconut, and the bites from the sweet corn.. Lovely!



One thing to rejoice about is that this time round, the browning is more even!



Sharing with you the recipe, adapted from Peng's Kitchen

Sweet Corn Chiffon Cake

Ingredients
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 250g creamy sweet corn
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 60ml corn oil
  • 100g castor sugar
  • 120g plain flour (I use a mixture of 55g cake flour, 65g self raising flour)
  • 50g coconut powder
  • 6 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Methods

  1. Whisk egg yolk with 30g of sugar till pale and creamy.
  2. Stir in oil, vanilla essence and sweet corn. Mix till well blended.
  3. Stir in the sifted flour, and coconut powder and mix till well combined.
  4. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar till frothy, then gradually beat in the remaining 70g sugar and beat till stiff peaks.
  5. Gently fold in the whites to the yolk mixture.
  6. Pour the batter into ungreased chiffon pan, and bake at 180C for 35min-45min.

Amendments made:

- Substitute part of the flour with self-raising flour. And I omited the baking powder.
- Add in another 4 tbsp of canned sweet corn.
- Mistaken 60ml of oil as 40ml, so in the end I only added in 40ml.

No comments: